Northern Arizona University - Enrique's Journey Reader Guide, Discussion Questions
- How did Sonia Nazario write this book? Examine the author’s background. What about her background gives her empathy for her characters?
Her family is from Argentina and she understands the transition in immigrant families.
- What trends in immigration did she show?
- What is Enrique’s living situation before and after his mother leaves? How does he feel after his mother leaves? Does this compare to any emotions you have ever felt?
- What negative habits does Enrique develop in his mother’s absence? How does this compare to negative habits that college students adapt when separated from their families?
- What happens to Enrique on his journey?
- What are the attitude of many Mexicans toward Enrique and other Central Americans immigrants? How does this compare to US attitudes?
- What often is the attitude of the police with whom Enrique has encounters? Is this justified?
- What is the primary mode of travel for immigrants passing through Mexico?
- How does Enrique cross the border?
- The author says that immigration is “a powerful stream, one that can only be addressed at its source.” What is the meaning of this statement?