- Once a person reaches all the requirements listed in the last blog post, he or she can fill out the Form N-400 to apply for citizenship.
- The person must know/have their USCIS (INS) number ready and available. This number is from a person's Permanent Resident Card (Alien Registration/Green card). This number consists of 7 digits and is entered into the top right area of every page on the Form N-400.
- The form is divided into 14 part
Part 1 - Your Name
- Your current legal name from birth certificate
- Your name as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card (If different from your legal name above.)
- Any other names you have used
- Name change (Optional) - The courts allow you to change your name when you become naturalized. This does not become final until the courts officially finish the naturalization process.
Part 2 - Your Eligibility
Simply check the box that signifies you are eligible.
Part 3 - Your Information
- US Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Date you became a permanent resident
- Country of birth
- Country of nationality
- Citizenship of parents
- Current marital status
- Request for disability waiver
- Request for disability accommodations
Part 4 - Information About Contacting You
- The FBI will use this information and your finger prints to search for criminal records
- The results of this search may affect your eligibility, but race, gender, or physical description do not.
Part 6 - Information About Your Residence and Employment
- Write every address you've lived in over the past 5 years
- List everywhere you've worked. If you are a student, list the schools you have attended.
Part 7 - Time Spent Outside of the US
- Write the total number of trips and days spent outside the country
Part 8 - Information about Marital History
- Number of times you've been married
- If you're married now, add information about your current spouse
- Indicate if your spouse is a US citizen
- If your spouse is naturalized, give dates and details
Part 9 - Information about Your Children
Part 10 - Additional Questions
Part 11 - Your Signature
Part 12 - Signature of person who prepared application for you
Part 13 - Signature at Interview
Part 14 - Oath of Allegiance
Part 15 - General Requirements
- Must submit two identical passport style photographs
The filing fee is $595
For more information visit: